- 21st February is being celebrated as the Hindu festival of Mahashivratri, all across the country.
- Mahashivratri is celebrated by observing a fast, making offerings to Lord Shiva, and other practices.
- Here is how fasting on the festival can improve your health.
New Delhi: Mahashivratri is an important Hindu festival, celebrated by devotees of Shiva, all around the country. This year, in 2020, Mahashivratri falls on the 21st of February, Friday. People celebrate Mahashivratri by fasting, chanting prayers, making offerings to the Shiva deity, meditating, doing yoga, consuming Bhaang, etc. Fasting is a very important part of the celebration of the festival.
The Mahashivratri fast, however, is different from most Hindu fasts. In most fasts, one can consume food and other items after performing the Pooja, and the fast is considered completed. However, the Mahashivratri fast continues all through the day and night. Fasting, however, has some health benefits that you should know about. Apart from the spiritual belief that fasting on Mahashivratri can wash away one’s sins, here are the many health benefits that fasting can have.
Fasting is a good way to lose weight
Fasting can help you lose weight by reducing your calorie intake. Fasting throughout the day, however, is not recommended as it can lead to sugar cravings and low energy. During the Shivratri fast, you can consume healthy foods like fresh fruits, etc, which can help you lose weight.
Fasting can reduce bloating
Fasting, especially the Mahashivratri fast can help reduce bloating. Salt is not consumed during the fast, which helps reduce water retention and bloating in the body. Reduced bloating can relieve indigestion, and improve bowel movement.
Shivratri fast can be healthy for the heart
Reduced intake of salt on the occasion of Shivratri can help in improving your heart health. Salt-sensitive hypertension can be controlled by the foods eaten during Mahashivratri fast, as they do not contain salt.
Fasting can help in detox
Any kind of fasting can help you reduce your intake of processed, fast and junk food. It can help you detoxify the body, by consuming healthy foods like fresh fruits, juices, and healthy snacks like nuts. Detoxing your body can also help reduce the free-radical activity in the body, which helps to keep your risk of diseases at bay.
Precautions to take while fasting
- People with existing health conditions like low blood pressure should be careful while fasting, as low salt consumption can lower their blood pressure even further.
- People with diabetes should also fast very carefully. Skipping meals, along with diabetes medication, can lower blood sugar levels and cause hypoglycemia.
- Fasting the whole day and night can cause fatigue and tiredness.