Categories
Headline USA Politics

Trump records video in condemning “unequivocally” the violent attack on the Capitol | The State

Trump recorded the video Wednesday.

Photo:
Chris Kleponis / EFE

The outgoing president, Donald Trump, assured this Wednesday in a message to the nation that he “unequivocally” condemns the violence of last week, when his followers stormed Capitol in Washington, and called to calm the spirits and help promote peace in the country.

“We have seen too many riots, too many mobs, too many acts of intimidation and destruction,” Trump said in his message, in which, however, he made no allusion to today’s vote in the House of Representatives, which gave the green light to the opening of the second political trial against him.

This Wednesday, Trump became the first second to be brought to a second impeachment in his first term. If convicted, the tycoon would not be able to hold public office again.

.

Categories
Headline USA

Mike Pompeo says the US ‘unequivocally condemns’ Venezuela’s jailing of Citgo six


Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said the US ‘unequivocally condemns’ the jailing of the men dubbed the Citgo six and slammed Venezuela’s justice system as ‘kangaroo court’ as he demands the executives are returned to the US.

The six American oil executives – Jose Pereira Ruimwyk, Jose Luis Zambrano, Alirio Jose Zambrano, Jorge Toledo, Tomeu Vadell and Gustavo Cardenas – were found guilty of corruption charges and sentenced to between eight and 13 years in Venezuelan prison this week. 

The men are all employees of Houston-based Citgo refining company, owned by Venezuela’s state oil company PDVSA.

They have been held behind bars for the last three years after they were lured to Venezuela for a business meeting and arrested on corruption charges. 

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said the US ‘unequivocally condemns’ the jailing of the men dubbed the Citgo six (pictured) and slammed Venezuela’s justice system as ‘kangaroo court’ as he demands the executives are returned to the US 

Pompeo condemned the ‘wrongful convictions’ of the Citgo six and blasted what he described as the ‘illegitimate Venezuelan legal system’ in a statement Friday.

‘The United States unequivocally condemns the wrongful convictions of the Citgo 6, in a proceeding that should be described as a kangaroo court,’ he said. 

‘After canceling their initial appearance before a judge dozens of times over the last three years, the illegitimate Venezuelan legal system suddenly convicted and sentenced these oil executives without any evidence.’

The Secretary of State said the six men had already ‘wrongfully’ endured three years behind bars in ‘horrific’ conditions and called for them to be free to return to the US.

‘Having already spent over three years wrongfully detained in Venezuela on these specious charges, the majority of the time in horrific prison conditions, these six individuals should be immediately returned to the United States,’ he said.  

Pompeo also tweeted his condemnation for the convictions, and hit out at the nation’s election process. 

The US does not recognize President Nicolas Maduro as leader and Pompeo has previously said it is ‘impossible’ to have a fair election in the country. 

‘We unequivocally condemn the wrongful convictions of the Citgo 6 in Venezuela. There was no justice, no evidence, and no opportunity for defense,’ he tweeted. 

‘The use of a legal system to exert political power is yet another example of why free and fair elections are needed in Venezuela.’  

Pompeo condemned the 'wrongful convictions' of the Citgo six and blasted what he described as the 'illegitimate Venezuelan legal system' in a statement Friday

Pompeo condemned the ‘wrongful convictions’ of the Citgo six and blasted what he described as the ‘illegitimate Venezuelan legal system’ in a statement Friday

Pompeo also tweeted his condemnation for the convictions, and hit out at the nation's election process

Pompeo also tweeted his condemnation for the convictions, and hit out at the nation’s election process

The Citgo six were found guilty of corruption charges by a judge Thursday and immediately sentenced to prison in the South American nation after a four-month trial that was closed off to the press.  

Ruimwyk, a Venezuelan national with US permanent residency and Citgo’s former president, was jailed for 13 years and seven months on charges including embezzlement and conspiracy, the court said. 

He was also fined $2 million.

The other five, all US citizens and former vice presidents for the company, were sentenced to eight years and 10 months. 

Venezuela’s Supreme Tribunal of Justice announced the verdicts and prison sentences but gave no other comment on the outcome. 

Prior to the verdict, the office of Venezuela’s chief prosecutor said that investigators found ‘serious evidence’ that corroborated financial crimes potentially damaging to the state-run company. 

One of the men’s lawyers told AFP his client intended to appeal the ruling.  

‘The evidence for the crimes they are accused of was not there, it did not even mention the six of them,’ said the lawyer, Maria Alejandra.

‘The defense, we were ready for this decision because they are political prisoners.’   

The company's former president, Jose Pereira Ruimwyk (pictured), a Venezuelan national with US residency, was jailed for 13 years and seven months Thursday

The company’s former president, Jose Pereira Ruimwyk (pictured), a Venezuelan national with US residency, was jailed for 13 years and seven months Thursday

Dennysse Vadell sits between her daughters Veronica, right, and Cristina holding a digital photograph of father and husband Tomeu who has been sentenced to more than eight years in prison

Dennysse Vadell sits between her daughters Veronica, right, and Cristina holding a digital photograph of father and husband Tomeu who has been sentenced to more than eight years in prison

Maria Elena Cardenas is pictured with her son Sergio, who has been suffering nightmares since his father, Gustavo, was arrested in 2017

Maria Elena Cardenas is pictured with her son Sergio, who has been suffering nightmares since his father, Gustavo, was arrested in 2017

Defense lawyer Jesus Loreto said the five with lesser terms could be released on parole in a couple of years. 

All six deny the charges against them.

Their families also contest the charges, saying Maduro controls the judiciary, which they say is notorious for corruption.  

Alirio Rafael Zambrano, brother to two of the men, said they were ‘undeniably innocent’ and victims of ‘judicial terrorism’, adding no evidence in the case supports a guilty conviction.

‘We, the family, are heartbroken to be separated even further from our loved ones,’ he said.

‘We pray that the leaders of our nation step forward and continue to fight unceasingly for their freedom and human rights.’ 

On November 21 2017, the six men were shuttled by corporate jet to the headquarters of PDVSA in Caracas for an apparent budget meeting.

They were told they would be home for Thanksgiving but military intelligence officers swarmed into the boardroom and took them to jail.  

This shocking image shows Citgo executive Tomeu Vadell at his home in Lake Charles, Louisiana in 2015 (left) and in custody in Venezuela (right) - his family believe he has lost over 60 pounds since his arrest

This shocking image shows Citgo executive Tomeu Vadell at his home in Lake Charles, Louisiana in 2015 (left) and in custody in Venezuela (right) – his family believe he has lost over 60 pounds since his arrest

Wearing T-shirts with the message 'Free the Citgo 6,' the Vadell family poses for a photo in Katy, Texas last year

Wearing T-shirts with the message ‘Free the Citgo 6,’ the Vadell family poses for a photo in Katy, Texas last year

Their arrest launched a purge by Maduro’s government of PDVSA and came at a time when relations between Caracas and Washington were crumbling as Venezuela plummeted into economic and social crisis. 

The US has repeatedly asked Venezuela to release the five US citizens and one US permanent resident but the nation has refused. 

US Democratic Party heavyweight Bill Richardson, who has managed international negotiations for a number of high-profile American detainees, traveled to Venezuela in mid-July and met with Maduro.

He managed to get two of them released and put under house arrest, but the rest remained at the national intelligence agency’s headquarters in Caracas.

Roger Carstens, the US envoy for hostage affairs, said in June all six men were ‘in mortal danger’, with several displaying Covid-19 symptoms.

One of the men, Vadell, penned a letter just before his verdict saying he hoped for a fair trial so he could return home to his family in America.  

The US is one of a number of nations that does not recognize President Nicolas Maduro (above)

The US is one of a number of nations that does not recognize President Nicolas Maduro (above) 

‘During the trial, the truth has proven undeniable. It proves that I am innocent,’ Vadell wrote in the handwritten letter obtained by The Associated Press.  

‘I’m now reaching an intersection where if justice is done, I will be able to rebuild my life and try to compensate my family for all the lost moments. The light is intense – the hope is great – give me freedom.’  

The concerned family of Vadell, who lived in Louisiana, believe he has lost over 60 pounds while behind bars in the Venezuelan jail.  

The US is one of a number of nations that does not recognize Maduro as the Venezuelan president with Vice President Mike Pence declaring Maduro’s 2018 election victory a ‘sham’.  

Since early 2019, it has been trying unsuccessfully to oust the leftist leader, who presides over a crumbling economy from which millions have fled.

Venezuela opposition leader Juan Guaido took control of Houston-based Citgo, Venezuela’s most profitable overseas asset, in 2019 after the US recognized him as the country’s legitimate president.

Maduro retains control of most state functions and the Venezuelan operations of PDVSA, which are under US-imposed sanctions. 

Pompeo has been ramping up the pressure to oust the leader as the nation gears up for another election next year, recently branding Maduro a ‘drug-trafficker’ who has created a ‘humanitarian man-made crisis’ in the country. 

In June, Pompeo said that ‘elections that represent the will of the people are impossible’ in Venezuela, just months before he also dismissed the US presidential election result in November.  

Venezuela opposition leader Juan Guaido took control of Houston-based Citgo, Venezuela's most profitable overseas asset, in 2019

 Venezuela opposition leader Juan Guaido took control of Houston-based Citgo, Venezuela’s most profitable overseas asset, in 2019



Source link

Categories
Headlines UK London

Labour’s chief whip demands Jeremy Corbyn ‘unequivocally’ apologises


Labour’s chief whip has demanded that Jeremy Corbyn ‘unequivocally’ apologise for claiming that the scale of anti-Semitism in the party was ‘dramatically overstated for political reasons’.

MP Nick Brown said the former-Labour leader caused ‘distress and pain’ to the Jewish community with his response to a damning Equality and Human Rights Commission report into antisemitism in the party.

In a letter, the chief whip told MP for Islington Mr Corbyn to ‘unequivocally, unambiguously and without reservation’ apologise for his comments.

MP Nick Brown said the former-Labour leader caused 'distress and pain' to the Jewish community with his response to a damning Equality and Human Rights Commission report into antisemitism in the party

Labour’s chief whip Nick Brown (right) has demanded that Jeremy Corbyn (left) ‘unequivocally’ apologise for claiming that the scale of anti-Semitism in the party was ‘dramatically overstated for political reasons’

Mr Corbyn was suspended from the party after saying anti-Semitism in Labour was ‘overstated’ in the wake of the UK’s EHRC report.

The report ruled that the Labour party had broken equality law under his leadership. 

But he was reinstated as a Labour member by the National Executive Committee following a meeting of a disciplinary panel three weeks later. 

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer (pictured) last week blocked Mr Corbyn from sitting as a Labour MP, though said he would keep the decision not to restore the whip 'under review'

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer (pictured) last week blocked Mr Corbyn from sitting as a Labour MP, though said he would keep the decision not to restore the whip ‘under review’

Mr Brown, writing to Mr Corbyn on Monday (his letter pictured), said that to inform an investigation into whether the Islington North MP broke the party's code of conduct he wanted him to consider apologising for his comments

Mr Brown, writing to Mr Corbyn on Monday (his letter pictured), said that to inform an investigation into whether the Islington North MP broke the party’s code of conduct he wanted him to consider apologising for his comments

He wrote (pictured): 'Will you unequivocally, unambiguously and without reservation apologise for your comments?'

He wrote (pictured): ‘Will you unequivocally, unambiguously and without reservation apologise for your comments?’

The charges against Labour in 130-page Equality and Human Rights Commission report

  • Labour breached the Equality Act 2010 by committing ‘unlawful harassment’ in two of the complaints investigated.  They included ‘using antisemitic tropes and suggesting that complaints of antisemitism were fake or smears’.
  • One of the cases involved Ken Livingstone, who in 2016 defended MP Naz Shah over claims of anti-Semitism by claiming there was a smear campaign by ‘the Israel lobby’ to undermine and disrupt Mr Corbyn’s leadership. He later resigned from the Labour Party after being suspended.
  •  A further 18 cases were ‘borderline’, involving local councillors, local election candidates and Constituency Labour Party (CLP) officials.
  • Analysis of 70 anti-Semitism complaint files found 23 incidences of ‘political interference’ by Mr Corbyn’s office and others. This included ‘clear examples of interference at various stages throughout the complaint handling process, including in decisions on whether to investigate and whether to suspend’ party members. 
  • The party’s complaints process was ‘inconsistent, poor, and lacking in transparency’. 
  •  In cases where a complaint of anti-Semitism was upheld, it was ‘difficult to draw conclusions on whether the sanctions applied were fair and consistent’.
  • Recommendations made by the watchdog include commissioning an independent process to handle anti-Semitism complaints and acknowledging the effect political interference has had and implementing clear rules to stop it happening again.

 

However, his successor as party leader Sir Keir Starmer last week blocked him from sitting as a Labour MP, though said he would keep the decision not to restore the whip ‘under review’.

Mr Brown, writing to Mr Corbyn on Monday, said that to inform an investigation into whether the Islington North MP broke the party’s code of conduct he wanted him to consider apologising for his comments.

He wrote: ‘Will you unequivocally, unambiguously and without reservation apologise for your comments made on the morning of 29 October 2020, in particular for saying ‘One anti-Semite is one too many, but the scale of the problem was also dramatically overstated for political reasons by our opponents inside and outside the party, as well as by much of the media’, which caused such distress and pain to Jewish members of the Labour Party and the wider Jewish community?’

Mr Brown also asked Mr Corbyn to confirm that he will remove or edit his response – which he posted on Facebook, and asked for an assurance that he will cooperate fully with the party as it seeks to implement the EHRC’s recommendations.

A Labour spokesman said: ‘Following consultation with the Labour Leader, the Chief Whip has written to Jeremy Corbyn about his precautionary suspension from the whip.

‘In the interests of transparency, a copy of this letter has been put in the public domain. We will not be making any further comments.’

The EHRC report found Labour had broken the law in its handling of anti-Semitism complaints, though Mr Corbyn said the scale of the issue had been ‘dramatically overstated for political reasons’ by opponents inside and outside Labour, along with the media. 

He later attempted to clarify his comments in a statement to the party, saying concerns about anti-Semitism were ‘neither ‘exaggerated’ nor ‘overstated”. 

The 130-page report found ‘significant failings in the way the Labour Party has handled anti-Semitism complaints over the last four years’ with ‘specific examples of harassment, discrimination and political interference’.

Among the charges levelled at Labour were the fact that out of 70 anti-Semitism complains analysed, 23 showed signs of ‘political interference’ by Mr Corbyn’s office and others.

They also blasted ‘a lack of leadership within the Labour Party on these issues’, which it said was ‘hard to reconcile with its stated commitment to a zero-tolerance approach to anti-Semitism’.

Labour was found to have broken equalities law over two cases, including one which involved former London mayor Ken Livingstone 'using antisemitic tropes and suggesting that complaints of anti-Semitism were fake or smears' in 2016, before he quit the party

Labour was found to have broken equalities law over two cases, including one which involved former London mayor Ken Livingstone ‘using antisemitic tropes and suggesting that complaints of anti-Semitism were fake or smears’ in 2016, before he quit the party

Among the charges levelled at Labour were the fact that out of 70 anti-Semitism complains analysed, 23 showed signs of 'political interference' by Mr Corbyn's office and others

Among the charges levelled at Labour were the fact that out of 70 anti-Semitism complains analysed, 23 showed signs of ‘political interference’ by Mr Corbyn’s office and others

Additionally they broke equalities law over two cases, including one which involved former London mayor Ken Livingstone ‘using antisemitic tropes and suggesting that complaints of anti-Semitism were fake or smears’ in 2016, before he quit the party. 

Some were committed by well-known figure while others were carried out by relatively unknown local officials and councillors. 

Some failures were down to logistical and record-keeping failures, but others were caused by direct interference in the party’s complaints procedures by Jeremy Corbyn’s top team.



Source link