They were sweethearts in high school; 70 years later they meet again and decide to get married | The State

Out there it is said that the first love is never forgotten, a saying that the story that you will read next will be reaffirmed.

It turns out that octogenarians named Fred Paul and Florence Harvey met 70 years ago when they were both classmates in high school in Wandsworth, a small town in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

After a long time of living together, They finally decided to become boyfriends, a relationship that lasted 2 years as Paul’s family decided to move to Toronto.

“She was my first love. My first girlfriend and my first true love, ”said Paul, now 84, in an interview with CNN.

Fred returned to Wandsworth a year later to find Florence but learned that she and her family had also moved to another city.

Time passed and eventually, both of them married other people and formed their respective families.

In 2017, Harvey became widowed after 57 years of marriage to a man named Len, who died of cancer and with whom she had 5 children. Two years later, Paul’s wife of nearly 60 years, Helen, also died. They had two children together.

After this and thanks to family and friends, both managed to contact each other by phone. “I never thought it would happen that. But we went from talking once a week, to 2, to 3, to every day for hours. We had really reconnected, even though we hadn’t seen each other in all those years. I knew this was it, ”said Harvey, 81.

Months after said “telephone reunion”, Florence surprised Freud last July when he traveled to Toronto to celebrate his birthday.

“When I found out he was in town and he was coming to see me, it was 10:30 at night. I ran out of bed, got dressed and wrote ‘Welcome Florence’ in chalk on the driveway and when she arrived I walked to the car, gave her a hug and a kiss on the cheek, and took her hand and knew immediately that she had taken my heart “, asserted Paul.

It took only 3 days for both of them to decide to get married, Despite what their families thought at first, they were sure they wanted to spend the rest of their lives together. since Paul was a month away from starting treatment for stomach cancer, but Harvey was committed to being by his side, both through the good and the bad, no matter what that meant.

On August 8, Paul and Harvey exchanged vows in front of family and close friends at Norval United Church in Georgetown, Ontario. Due to the coronavirus pandemic, they kept the guest list small.

“You were the first young man to walk me home in my teens,” Harvey told Paul during the ceremony. “I guess you’ll be the last man to walk me home,” he added.

The pastor who carried out the ceremony assured that he had never been in such an emotional wedding.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *