Romain Grosjean returns to the scene of his horror crash as he walk arounds Bahrain circuit

Romain Grosjean returns to the scene of his horror 140mph crash as he takes a walk around Bahrain International Circuit just four days after he climbed out of his burning car – and 24 hours after being released from hospital

  • Romain Grosjean has returned to the scene of his horror crash out in Bahrain 
  • The Haas driver miraculously survived after his car hit a barrier at 140mph 
  • Grosjean, 34, was engulfed in flames for 30 seconds but made an escape
  • And the Frenchman has now returned to the track ahead of this weekend’s race 

Romain Grosjean has returned to the scene of his horrendous crash in Bahrain as the Formula One driver continues to make his recovery from the shocking incident.

The French driver for the Haas F1 team miraculously survived the 140mph, 53G crash into a trackside barrier in the opening lap of Sunday’s race, emerging unscathed from the inferno of his destroyed car apart from burns to his hands. 

The 34-year-old was admitted to the Bahrain Defence Force (BDF) hospital but a statement released by his team on Wednesday confirmed Grosjean had been discharged after three nights there.

Romain Grosjean has returned to the scene of his horror crash in the Bahrain Grand Prix

Romain Grosjean has returned to the scene of his horror crash in the Bahrain Grand Prix

The Haas driver's car hit a barrier at 140 mph, bursting into a huge inferno after the first lap

The Haas driver’s car hit a barrier at 140 mph, bursting into a huge inferno after the first lap

Shocking images show the moment  Grosjean managed to pull himself from the burning wreckage on Sunday after he was exposed to the flames for almost 30 seconds

Shocking images show the moment  Grosjean managed to pull himself from the burning wreckage on Sunday after he was exposed to the flames for almost 30 seconds

And the Frenchman has returned to the Bahrain International Circuit where the accident happened ahead of this weekend’s Sakhir Grand Prix. 

The driver, with wraps on his burnt hands and a face mask on amid coronavirus, joked with Haas staff members as he made his return to the 3.3 mile circuit. 

Grosjean has made positive steps in his road to recovery, and is targeting a race return for the final Grand Prix of the season, in Abu Dhabi on December 13.

Grosjean posted a social media picture of his bandaged right hand this week, with the message: ‘My right hand this morning. The happiness I had when I was told that I didn’t need the full dressing anymore and could use my finger was huge. Almost cried. A victory on my way to recovery.’   

The 34-year-old miraculously managed to make an escape after his car split in half

The 34-year-old miraculously managed to make an escape after his car split in half

And Grosjean has returned to the track in Sakhir ahead of the race this coming weekend

And Grosjean has returned to the track in Sakhir ahead of the race this coming weekend

He has been ruled out of this weekend’s Sakhir Grand Prix but would like to race in the UAE on December 13. 

Speaking on Tuesday, Grosjean’s team boss at Haas, Gunther Steiner, said: ‘The aim is Romain really would like to do the race in Abu Dhabi (on December 13).

‘I told him try to get better and we will speak on Sunday or Monday and see how he feels and if it is doable.

‘We will cross that bridge when we come to it. I’m not in a hurry to decide what to do, or what is needed because it depends on his health.

The Frenchman was released from hospital this week as he makes his recovery from the crash

The Frenchman was released from hospital this week as he makes his recovery from the crash

‘He is just trying to get better to be in the car in Abu Dhabi. That is his aim, and that shows that he wants to keep on doing it.’   

Details have emerged of Grosjean’s accident during the first lap of Sunday’s race in Bahrain, including that the heat of the inferno was so intense the visor of his helmet melted.

His ‘halo’ — the titanium and carbon device around the cockpit that protects a driver’s head — had bent the barrier and, seemingly, saved his life. 

The section of the track where Grosjean crashed has undergone intensive work ahead of this weekend’s Grand Prix.  

The area of the track where Grosjean crashed has undergone intensive repair work this week

The area of the track where Grosjean crashed has undergone intensive repair work this week 

To greatly reduce the chances of a similar incident there will be a new metal barrier introduced in place of the concrete and this will be protected by a conveyor belt featuring two rows of tyres.

The Sakhir circuit will be run on the track’s outer section layout, which means turn nine, which was turn 13 last Sunday for the traditional grand prix route, will become much faster and it too has seen changes to protect drivers.

‘Following a review of the recent Bahrain FIA Formula One World Championship event with the FIA F1 Race Director, the FIA Circuit Inspector and the FIA Safety Department, the following changes will be made to the Bahrain International Outer Circuit in advance of this weekend’s forthcoming Sakhir Grand Prix,’ the FIA stated. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *