After months of anticipation, the PlayStation 5 finally went on sale in the UK this month.
Keen gamers flocked to buy the new console, with retailers selling out in record time.
Several resellers have listed their consoles on eBay, with some asking for ridiculous sums of money.
Now, eBay has issued an urgent warning to customers, after it discovered some sellers attempting to sell photos of the PS5, rather than the console itself.
Worryingly, some listings of PS5 photos ask for up to £550, leading some customers to believe them to be real.
eBay has now confirmed that it is in the process of removing the items from the platform.
It said: “We condemn these opportunistic sellers who are attempting to mislead other users.
“We are in the process of removing all listings for photos of PS5s from our marketplace and will be taking appropriate action against the sellers.
“For any purchase, but especially highly priced or in-demand items, buyers should exercise caution and thoroughly read the listing description.
“Buyers who receive an item which is not as described are entitled to a refund via our eBay Money Back Guarantee, provided they completed the transaction on the eBay platform”.
If you’re still trying to get the PS5, Sony has issued some good news for you – more consoles will be available before the end of the year.
PlayStation tweeted: “We want to thank gamers everywhere for making the PS5 launch our biggest console launch ever.
“Demand for PS5 is unprecedented, so we wanted to confirm that more PS5 inventory will be coming to retailers before the end of the year – please stay in touch with your local retailers.”
For those still scrambling to find any last available stock, here is a full breakdown of what we know so far.
PlayStation 5 stock availability
Amazon – Currently out of stock with no date yet for restock.
- GAME – Out of stock – no word yet on when restock can be expected.
- Currys – Expecting more stock before end of the year.
- Very – more stock expected ‘soon’, shoppers advised to regularly check the website for next drop.
- John Lewis – no word yet on when the retailer is expecting to restock. The retailer also confirms online that “Unfortunately, PlayStation 5 consoles will not be available for purchase at our John Lewis & Partners shops or from our contact centres”
- Asda – Expected to restock in December.
Tesco – no word yet on when the retailer is expecting to restock.