Paul McCartney announced on Wednesday that he would release a new solo album, “McCartney III,” made up of songs created or reworked by the former Beatles figure during the spring containment to fight the epidemic of the new coronavirus.
This new album, scheduled for December 11, is actually the third part of a triptych, whose first disc – his very first solo album soberly titled “McCartney” – had been released fifty years ago. “McCartney II” followed ten years later, in 1980.
The ex-Beatles bassist explained in a statement that he originally had no plans to release an album in 2020, but his confinement gave him the opportunity to rework old, never-released songs. , then the desire to create new ones.
“Over the years I worked on some things, but sometimes I ran out of time and left them half-finished,” said Paul McCartney, explaining that, on the contrary, the confinement he spent on “his farm with his family ”had allowed him to work“ every day ”in his studio.
At first, “I had to work on a film score, which became the first track on the album and when it was finished I started to wonder what I was going to do next”, a- he explained.
“I was making music for myself rather than making music for my job. So I did the things I wanted to do, “said the 78-year-old artist, saying he had” no idea it would end up on an album. ”
Recorded in Sussex (southern England), “McCartney III” introduces the listener to a set of new songs, where the ex-Beatles provides both the piano, the vocals, the guitar, but also the bass and battery.
This will be his 18th solo album, after “Egypt Station”, which in 2018 had projected him to the top of the reference chart for album sales in the United States, the Billboard, for the first time in 36 years.