Laurence Fox warned by charity not to use their name for ‘free speech’ party
A charity has launched a legal challenge over the name of Laurence Fox’s new Reclaim political party.
The charity – also named Reclaim – has reportedly sent a “cease and desist” legal letter to the outspoken actor who announced his political ambitions last month.
Reclaim have demanded Fox renames his movement within days or face their legal team.
The charity, which was established in 2007, said in its letter Fox has until Wednesday to drop the title.
The original Reclaim say it is likely to cause “substantial damage to its reputation and goodwill”.
Laurence, the ex-husband of actress Billie Piper, has already raised more than £1 million for his new political project, it is claimed.
According to The Sunday Telegraph, that includes large donations from former Conservative backers.
The charity, established in in Moss Side, a deprived area of Manchester, was set up to “power young working-class people to change the country today and lead it tomorrow”.
They are not a political party but are clear on their views.
One of its aims is to see the UK elect its first working-class prime minister of the 21st century.
They are also demanding the star surrender the website domain he has set up.
A spokesman for the Reclaim party project said: “We are aware of the charity’s view. While pointing out the obvious fact that no party name has actually been registered, lawyers are looking at their recent contention.”
The outspoken actor has previously clashed with academic Rachel Boyle on BBC Question Time after she called him a “white privileged male”.