Jeff Stelling hints he could quit Soccer Saturday after Sky Sports axed co-stars
Soccer Saturday host Jeff Stelling has hinted he could quit the show over Sky Sports’ decision to axe three of his co-stars.
Matt Le Tissier, Phil Thompson and Charlie Nicholas were all given their marching orders by the broadcaster as they look to overhaul their coverage.
Scott Minto has also been told he is being let go while Sky have cut regular shows Sunday Supplement, Goals On Sunday and The Debate.
Reports on Friday suggested Stelling could leave, and he appeared to confirm he was considering his future in a tweet in the early hours of Saturday morning.
He posted: “Thanks for all the messages of support – and even for most of those who have a different view as I believe in free speech.
Have Sky made an error in axing the Soccer Saturday trio? Have your say below.
“So far no discussions have taken place, no decisions made. Only I know what I am thinking but it is important to listen to all arguments. Thanks again.”
Following the news earlier in the week that Le Tissier, Thompson and Nicholas had been let go, leaving juts Stelling and Paul Merson from the regular line-up, the host said: “One of my saddest days ever at Sky Sports with the departure of three of my best mates.
“They have been part of a team that for me was the best.”
Sign up for the brilliant new Mirror Football newsletter!
From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox.
Put your email at the top of this article or follow the instructions on this link.
Stelling joined Sky in 1994 as the host of Sports Saturday, which became Soccer Saturday four years later.
He has garnered a huge following in that time for his on-air persona, including dramatic reactions to goals scored and conceded by his hometown and boyhood club Hartlepool.